Let start with what networking is not. Networking is not handing out a bunch of business cards, and hoping someone calls.
Business networking as described by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, as:
A socioeconomic activity by which groups of like-minded businesspeople recognize, create, or act upon business opportunities. (Wikipedia, 2011)
(Business networking is a marketing method by which business opportunities are created through networks of like-minded business people. There are several prominent business networking organizations that create models of networking activity that, when followed, allow the businessperson to build new business relationship and generate business opportunities at the same time. (former definition, prior to July 2011))
Technology makes it easy for us to expand our circle of influence. However, the most powerful connections are made face-to-face.
Below are leading-edge networking skills that will help you gain a new level of respect and credibility from your colleagues and clients.
Using these networking skills with traditional networking techniques, will allow you to seize opportunities that at one time you thought impossible.
- Take a positive and deliberate approach to networking. In doing so, you will find this extra level of attention makes it easier to establish relationships.
- Your business image should reflect your abilities, values, goals, and business mission.
- Build brand loyalty one fan group at a time.4.
- Exude energy and passion to command respect and grab attention.
- Be honest about what you can do and cannot do. If something has gone wrong, be honest and upfront, immediately.
- Focus on following up and following through while you are still at the meeting.
- Asking this one question will increase your bottom line. “Who is your ideal client or customer and how can I help you?”
- Remember the name. We all like to hear our name. However, only use first names if you are asked by a person to use their first name.
- Always defer to the other person. Allow the others to have the spotlight; do not monopolize the conversation or talk about you too much.
- Using the terms “ma’am and sir.” Using these terms shows the utmost respect for other people.
- Be well informed. Research your client prior to your scheduled meeting or event.
- Perfect your “30 second commercial.”
- Remain standing as much as possible. Standing portrays you as more approachable.
- Remain in control even under pressure. Practice ways to “keep your cool.”
Grace and Charm Insight:
“Take the time to be exceptional, it will show in how you make others feel, and in your bottom line.” Walethia Aquil
It’s your turn now. Share your networking tips and faux-pas with us. I look forward to hearing from you.
Walethia is an etiquette and image coach and creator of the “Grace and Charm Success System.” She recently revealed the secret strategies all high achievers use to become more charming, persuasive and memorable. The same techniques you can use to foster long term collaborative relationships with CEO’s clients, investors, ad other high profile influences.
To go deeper with how proper business etiquette and protocol’s and a polished image can increase your net worth check out “The Grace and Charm Success System.”