Without making it too obvious, I shifted position to get a better view of the women and I admit, to listen into their conversation. I am not usually so nosey or obvious in my behaviour but the topic of their conversation caught my attention. Being a yoga teacher, I like to hear what woman feel about their body and health concerns. And if appropriate share what I know to answer their concerns.
From their conversation and observing their body shape – the women were in their late twenties/early thirties, and bemoaning the fact that they just didn’t have time to exercise, that is was too difficult to fit in a gym class, plus, given the high cost of organic fruit and vegetables (compared to regular non-organic produce) they felt it was just too expensive to eat healthily.
So, all in all, they felt quite despondent, fed up and de-motivated to even think about changing their lifestyle habits.
Do You Feel Fat, Flabby and Overweight?
If this sounds like you and you want to find a quick and easy way to lose weight, get fit and feel better about yourself, then take a moment to sit back and read about some of the benefits you get from starting yoga.
Three Main Benefits of Yoga for Good Health and Well Being
Here are three top reasons why I, as a yoga teacher and busy mum feel yoga promotes a healthy body, good health and emotional well-being.
1.Physical Benefits Of Yoga For Good Health and Well Being
There is an old-time yogi saying which says you are as young as your spine.
- Yoga exercises (known as asanas) focus on increasing and maintaining flexibility of your spine.
- The poses are gentle and can easily be adapted to suit all body types and levels of fitness.
- The gentle stretches move and stretch the body in all directions. Eg, the Cobra Pose gives a lovely massage to the back muscles, stretches and expands the ribcage and helps to relieve menstrual problems. The Triangle Pose promotes flexibility of the hips, stretches the sides of the body from your feet to your fingers.
- As you get into yoga, your posture improves as you become stronger and more flexible. A strong posture gives you a more youthful vibrant look.
2. Emotional Benefits of Yoga for Good Health and Well Being
- Yoga practice, especially meditation, helps to calm and steady your thoughts.
- As a working woman or busy mum, you are constantly at the beck and call of children, work colleagues and even family members. Yoga meditation techniques help your mind to settle, reclaim space in your head to become present and more aware of what is happening in your life. As your mind clears, you are more able to prioritize and focus on what really matters to you.
- Regular practice of meditation supports your wish to improve your health and well- being.
- Some of my yoga students, who have high blood pressure or at risk of coronary disease are advised to start yoga by their Doctors as an effective form of stress management.
- Adapting your diet is a gradual process. The more in tune you become with your body, you become mindful of what you eat, you learn to listen to your body and stop eating when you are full.
3. Spiritual Benefits of Yoga for Good Health and Well Being
- As you practice, your energy levels improve.
- Yoga asanas, breathing exercises and meditation all combine to enhance the flow of energy through your body. you feel lighter, happier, more at peace. From this perspective it is easier for you to reclaim your life-work-me-time balance.
- Yoga offer you a simple, safe and easy way to reclaim your life-work balance and wider perspective in life.
It is easy to fell down, low and fed-up about your health. Yet, with a little encouragement from your yoga teacher you can easily take baby steps to improve and support good healthy habits. Yoga offers many physical, emotional and spiritual benefits to help you improve your physical health and emotional well being. Book a yoga lesson today and let me know how you get on. I would love to support you on your path of vibrant health and wellness.
About Author: Ntathu Allen guides and teaches busy women how to de-stress and relax through yoga. Author, Blogger, Yoga and Meditation Teacher, Ntathu offers you easy yoga routines to weave through your day so you feel alert, energized and nurtured. Mother of three creative teen daughters, yoga and writing helps Ntathu to be present and enjoy life.