Settling into the salon chair for a new haircut is exciting. You probably bring in pictures and talk to your stylist about what works for your hair and lifestyle. But one of the most important things to factor into your haircut decision is your personality.
“Matching your haircut to your personality makes you more comfortable and confident in your looks, which helps you make a good impression on others,” says Ali Boecker, a stylist and instructor at the San Francisco Institute of Esthetics and Cosmetology. “Hair is a huge part of your appearance, and it should reflect what’s on the inside too.”
What type of haircut will match your personality? Check out this guide.
Your personality: Straightforward, no-nonsense
- You would describe yourself as a low-maintenance, efficient go-getter.
The right haircut: A shoulder-skimming look with lots of layers
- A medium-length cut with plenty of layers — like Julie Bowen’s character, Claire, on “Modern Family” — will fit your uncomplicated approach to beauty.
- The layers provide built-in movement and texture, helping you look put together and stylish without a bevy of products or a lot of time at the mirror.
- Keeping the length near your shoulders means your hair won’t feel overwhelming, but it’s still long enough to pull back into a ponytail.
Your personality: Artistic, modern
- Creative expression is vital to you; you’re an original and on the cutting edge.
The right haircut: A short, cropped cut
- A super-short look with a bit more length on top (Halle Berry is the perfect example) makes a dramatic statement and is surprisingly versatile — you can spike it up or blow-dry it smooth.
- Consider a chin- or cheek-length bob with bangs that fall around the middle of your forehead — picture Bettie Page or the main character in Amelie with a bob.
Your personality: Spontaneous, adventurous
- You thrive on the unexpected and get bored easily.
The right haircut: A long cut with invisible layers
- Long hair like that on Reese Witherspoon and Tyra Banks gives you the opportunity to change your style on a whim. You could create a messy updo for a night out, beachy waves for a casual afternoon or a sleek ponytail for work. Ask your stylist to add internal texture (aka layers), which will give you some natural volume and body, says Boecker.
Your personality: Traditional, conservative
- You prize your professionalism and reliability.
The right haircut: A long, blunt bob
- A style with strong lines, not piece-y layers, is a classic look that reflects your down-to-business approach. Look at pictures of Salma Hayek and “Mad Men”’s January Jones (who plays Betty) to get the idea.
- Also consider asking for long, sweeping bangs (like Hayek’s) to add a little softness to the cut.
Your personality: Outgoing, life of the party
- You’re full of energy and have a gregarious attitude that gets others’ attention.
The right haircut: A bouncy style with long layers
- Your best hairstyle matches your exuberant presence, and long layers fit the bill. Stars like Carrie Underwood, Mariah Carey and Jessica Simpson rock this cut, which creates serious volume and movement.
- One tip: Have your stylist undercut the hair at the crown of your head — where hair tends to fall flat — to help maintain body and lift.
About Author: Catherine Ryan is a freelance writer and editor who writes on health, nutrition, beauty and green living for such magazines as Self, Ode and Parents. She is a frequent contributor to Life & Beauty Weekly