Let’s face a cold hard truth together. What you do today will greatly impact tomorrow. According to research, our skin is the largest organ of the body. Why is it that we neglect that which encompasses such a colossal part of our being?
It is common to be more reactive than proactive when it comes to basic skin care. Case in point, your face begins to break out with several pimples. As you react to the occurrence immediately you begin to reach for solutions to remedy the problem.
During the summer months our skin will be exposed to high levels of tepid heat coming from rays of sun. This will cause the skin to become more dry than normal. In order to remain hydrated and protected simple precautionary measures can be taken on a daily basis.
- Drink an ample amount of water (64 ounces minimum) to flush out toxic waste and bacteria. If not when your body begins to perspire any internal bacteria will surface through your pores. The result will be irritation, inflammation and damage of the skin.
- Avoid beverages high in caffeination. Oh yes! Leave the acid twins Coca and Pepsi on the shelf in order to benefit your health. In addition, sweet tea and coffee are liquids that will raise your acidity levels causing dehydration and fatigue.
- Daily supplemental vitamins, minerals and nutrients such as Vitamin E, Borage Oil and Aloe Vera are great for producing oil from within, decreasing inflammation and killing off bacteria.
- Decrease your stress levels by taking moments to relax and breathe deeply. Exercise helps to release feel good hormones (endorphins) to promote internal harmony. One thing that affects our stress levels is environments. They either invigorate or inoculate, stimulate or suffocate. Gravitate towards uplifting and inspiring atmospheres that will cater to your emotional wellness.
- Lastly, be ultra selective in your dietary regime. Choose foods that will boost your immune system, provide you with the energy and stamina needed to accomplish your goals. I encourage you to consume more vegetables than starches, wheat than white flour and fruit over sugary snack attacks.
The key to beautiful and vibrant skin is remembering that for every action there is a reaction. Anything we place inside our bodies will eventually show up on the outside. Healthy is as healthy does. Start today with a renewed commitment to take better care of your skin. It the best looking suit you’ll ever walk in.
Kristie Kennedy, Women’s Empowerment Speaker
2010-2011 American Image National Pageant Queen
Professional Makeup Artist/Brow Sculptor
Custom Jewelry Designer, Author and Recording Artist