Most women today are being pulled in many directions by their family, career, and self expectations. It is no doubt that at least once a month, (and even sometimes once a week), feeling that I’m not meeting my goals and moving ahead. But staying on track for your goals of being your best self is possible. But here are three simple things you can do to improve your health and in turn increase your confidence, your body image, and even how much money you make by getting into shape.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. We’ve heard time and time again, and yet we skip it. People who eat breakfast perform better on tests, have better performance on the job, have an easier time maintaining and losing weight, and are less crabby. Find simple options that you can throw together the night before like Chocolate Chia Pudding. Take 1/3 cups chia seeds and add 1 cup chocolate almond milk into a glass. Stir and put in fridge before you go to bed. Take out in the morning and enjoy a high nutrient, high fiber, protein-packed breakfast that boosts your energy and metabolism first thing in the morning.
Pause and Think
How many times have you reacted to a situation, an email or a client without taking a pause first. Taking a breath, (literally) can change the outcome of so many experiences. No one said you had to answer anything right away. So to lower cortisol stress hormones, stop a moment in every situation, take a breath and take time to think. A good rule of thumb is to use the “YES and” start to any response instead of the “NO BUT”. You can even lower your shoulders and relax your neck where tensions builds.
Not everyone can get to the gym or has a treadmill in their home. But something you can do everyday is take 5 minutes to stretch. Here are some of the best daily stretches you can do.
- Knee tuck: Start lying on the floor and bring your knees up to your chest. Press the lower back into the floor. Hold for 10-30 seconds and repeat. This stretch releases the lower back.
- Chest Opening Stretch: Standing or sitting, reach arms out to a “T” position and bend arms with hands pointing upward. Squeeze the shoulder blades together as you open the arms backward. Hold for 10-30 seconds and repeat.
- Single Leg Hip Stretch: Start lying on the ground and use a folded towel or block under the hips. Draw one knee up towards the chest and extend the other leg towards the floor to feel a stretch in the front of the hips. Hold for 10-30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Cat Stretch: Start on hands and knees with hands under the shoulders and knees under the hips. Slowly round the back, pulling the chin to the chest and dropping the tailbone down. Hold for 10-30 seconds and release the back dropping the belly towards the floor and arching the lower back. Repeat 3-5 times.
These simple stretches help lubricate the joints and stimulate the muscles. Follow these stretches with a 10-minute walk and you’re ready for the day.
About Author: Andrea Metcalf is one of the nation’s top fitness experts. Armed with an exercise science teaching degree, and many training certifications, she started helping people achieve optimum health and business success in Chicago and around the country. She has appeared on the NBC Today Show, Steve Harvey, USA Today, Oprah.com, Rueters Health Report, More.com, Better TV and local Chicago stations.
- Trainer of the Year Finalist – IDEA
- Certified Personal Trainer
- Certified Nutritionist
- Certified Group Fitness Instructor
- Experienced Pilates & Yoga Instructor
- Alignment & Posture Expert
- Pain Specialist Celebrity & Pro Athlete
- Corrective Exercise Specialist
- Passionate Teacher & Motivator
- Dedicated Mother, Team Player & Friend
- Committed Entrepreneur & Innovator