Contrary to popular belief, there is a proper way to wash your face. If you cleanse and shortly thereafter feel like your ponytail is giving you a facelift, then you are probably doing something wrong.
While we equate loads of lather with squeaky-clean skin, in actuality too much lather is most likely too much of a good thing— it strips the skin of it’s natural ph level. Ph? Yes—flash back to chemistry 101. Our skin is acidic and soaps are alkaline. So when we use soap, particularly a bar soap, on our delicate facial skin, we are not doing our skin a favor.
Instead look for cleansers that effectively wash your skin and at the same time protect your moisture levels.
How long do you cleanse? Do you splash a little water throw on your cleanser and then rinse? If so, you are not giving your skin a proper cleanse. Take time to massage your cleanser into your skin for at least a minute. This action improves circulation to the surface of the skin and helps produce a fresh glow. It also insures that your cleanser does its job.
When you rinse, be sure to use tepid water. Some women claim that cold water gets their engine going and is even the key to their youthful looks. But, by all means, avoid hot water.
If you are lazy like me, try this:
Keep a pack of cleansing towelettes or makeup wipes on your night stand. I love the Walmart brand (see below). If you wear eye makeup, keep a zip-lock bag full of cotton rounds soaked with eye makeup remover. And voila – you have your cleansing right at your bedside. Of course, continue your skin care regimen with your night care products.
Fortunately, there is a cleanser for every skin type and concern and we have whittled down your choices to the best of the best.
- For: Fine lines, discoloration, and uneven texture
- Try: Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser $30
- This non-drying formula is strong enough to remove makeup, but gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin. African red tea strengthens the skin’s outer layer, slows the aging process, calms and soothes the skin.
- For: Lackluster appearance, clogged pores
- Try: Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser $29.95
- This cleanser improves clarity, unclogs pores, reduces dullness, exfoliates dead cells, smoothes dryness, lines & wrinkles, and reveals fresh, new skin.
- For: Mild to moderate acne
- Try: CoralActives™ Retinol Exfoliating Cleanser $22
- Contains sea whip extract, known for it’s anti-inflammatory properties and mild cleansers, retinol for deeper cleansing and very fine micro-beads to help exfoliate the skin.
- For: All skin types, anti-aging
- Try: Vapour Organic Beauty Clarity Cleansing Oil $26
- This makeup removing cleansing oil is a blend of Organic Camellia oil to keep skin bright, toned, and balanced, and Organic Evening Primrose oil, rich in anti-aging EFAs (Essential Fatty Acids) to lock in moisture and boost skin elasticity.
- For: All skin types
- Try: Josie Maran Bear Naked Wipes $12
- These gentle wipes remove makeup and impurities from face and eyes, nature’s way—with a blend of aloe vera, chamomile, cucumber, and vitamin E.
- For: Anyone who can’t break the habit of a bar soap
- Try: Amore Pacific Treatment Cleansing Soap $40
- A luxurious, skin-softening botanical soap with essential oils such as tea tree, clove bud, lavender, and geranium oils to provide soothing aromatherapy benefits and olive and sunflower seed oils to provide intense moisture to skin.
- Olay Advanced Anti-Aging Regeneration Cream Cleanser $7.49
- Creamy cleanser with beads for exfoliation and peptides for anti-aging.
- Aveeno Active Naturals $9.99
- Contains natural shiitake complex and fine microbeads to gently remove dull, dry skin that prevents younger, fresher cells from showing through.
- PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash 10% Benzoyl Peroxide $10.99
- This cleanser is ideal for the most stubborn acne because of the 10% Benzoyl Peroxide. Once skin is clear, alternate weeks with an acne cleanser that contains salicylic acid.
- Avalon Organics Vitamin C Hydrating Cleansing Milk $11.99
- Vegetarian ingredients plus anti-aging antioxidant Vitamin C. Smells delicious and leaves skin moist, not stripped.
- Equate (Walmart house brand) With Chamomile, Vitamin E & Triple Tea Complex Facial Cleansing Towelettes 2 pk $5.97
- They are large, gentle and remove even the most stubborn eye makeup.
- Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar $3.99
- It’s gentle, hypoallergenic and won’t clog pores.
About Author: Tracey has over 25 years in the beauty industry. Her world of beauty includes: makeup artist — print, television, film, runway and REAL WORLD esthetician and salon owner — specializing in clinical anti-aging and acne treatments writer — contributor to Science of Sephora version one, numerous training modules, ancillary marketing materials product expert — as part of the team that launched Sephora.com, beauty editor — defies trends.
Contact: Tracey Brown, Beauty Expert
Brown Beauty Consulting