Congratulations! Your company just received some major great press awesomeness. Your dedication and hard work are truly paying off. But don’t bask in the glory too long, you’ve got work to do. After you receive major press you need to leverage that big win to the best of your ability. Here are eight tips I gave my client after she was recently featured on a national television talk show.
Follow these steps to ensure you’re getting the most juice out of your new media buzz.
1. Write and Distribute a Press Release. Yes, write a real press release about your major press and include quotes about your excitement and how this will impact your business and/or your costumers. Be sure to find great online outlets to post your news release.
2. Get Social. Tell all of your family, friends and followers about your success. Update your Facebook status, Tweet and be sure to use LinkedIn, Google+ and any other social media sites you’re on. Your peeps will be happy for your success and hopefully also share your news with their friends and family, creating even more buzz for you.
3. Blog about the Experience. This kind of falls under social media. However, truly tell your audience about the entire experience, i.e. what it was like to be interviewed, if you were nervous or if something funny happened, if the news was totally unexpected. They will be happy to relive the experience with you through your prose. Plus you’re updating your website, which is always great for SEO, nice added bonus.
4. Update Your News Page or Create One. If you have a website, you should have a News/Press section on it. Be sure to include this very exciting news on your Press page. So when potential clients are looking at your website, they know that you’ve been socially vetted and will be more like to engage with your products or services and become a customer.
5. Update Your Media Kit. Update your media kit with this great piece of press and be sure to include any logos or links that pertain to your press.
6. Notify Your Local News Media. Local news producers are always looking for great relevant stories that feature local businesses. Using your updated Media Kit, pitch a producer of one or more of your local TV channels or write an editor about your recent press coverage. If you don’t know how to pitch to the media, hire a PR person to help you so it’s done right.
7. Let Your Customers Know. Print a nice poster or sign to display in your store or add “As Featured on” to the home page of your website. If applicable, update other marketing collateral with a logo or blurb about your coverage. Additionally, if there are some special customers that you know that are rooting for you and your business every step of the way, send them a private message or email about your success. They will be happy you shared the news.
8. Enjoy it! All of your long hours and hard work are finally paying off. Take a few minutes to reflect on your journey and live in the moment of this accomplishment.