As women, we have a multitude of responsibilities as mothers, wives, business owners, leader, boss and many other ‘life’ roles. With that, it is easy to stray from your goals due to lack of motivation.
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” Zig Ziglar
It’s important to stay motivated even during stressful moments. Easier said than done … especially with the many demands for your time. Here are 4 simple ways to stay motivated to achieve your business goals.
Set Specific Goals
Do you find yourself seeking immediate results when you set goals? Setting unattainable and vague goals? I recently did a consultation with a new client who needed help with a cash strapped business. I immediately noticed that her goals were too vague, thus, causing her frustration. One way of resolving this is by dividing them into bite sized pieces and each into actionable to-dos. This will allow you to have smaller and manageable milestones.
- Vague goal – I want to cut my overhead in my accounting firm
- Specific goal – I want to save my firm at least 10% in Administrative expenses for the next 2 years.
Prioritize Your Goals
Prioritizing your goals will help you to align each according to your strengths. A common reason for failure in completing goals is having too many on your plate. Determine what your priorities are and then focus on them. You are now able to focus on those that are important to the overall success of your company.
Read Motivational Material
A great way to kick start a great day is to read positive material such as affirmations, quotes, scriptures or an inspirational book.
- Affirmation: “By commemorating the smallest nuggets of success, I am motivated to complete the larger tasks.”
- Quote: “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” Helen Keller
- Scripture: :If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, “MOVE!” and it WILL move… and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU!” Matthew 17:20
- Book: “Today Matters: 12 Daily Practices to Guarantee Tomorrows Success” by John C. Maxwell
Visualize the End Result
Now close your eyes and envision the finish line. Reach out and touch it, feel it, embrace it and see it clearly. You’re excited and can now visualize the end result.
Visualizing your goals is an effective technique that will help you stay motivated as you work towards them.
Here are 3 simple tips:
- Memorize every detail. Write it down and glance at it daily, weekly and monthly.
- Use visuals or images to spark emotion. If you were saving money to purchase a 2011 Harley Ultra Classic Motorcycle (OK, my personal goal) in 6 months, wouldn’t a picture of that shiny new bike keep you motivated?
- Do it daily! Add your goals to your daily ‘to do’ list. By giving each a little attention regularly, will get you that much closer to completing it.
In conclusion, by following these four simple steps will help you stay motivated to achieve your goals which leads to success, be it in business or life!